Sunday, June 05, 2022

Swingtime update

In my previous post about the Swingtime clock, I noted that the remontoire occasionally goes mad. The motor keeps running until the motor arm collides with the third wheel, long after the tilt switch should have turned it off. I was using a miniature tilt switch of the sort that has two metal balls inside it (like this). I replaced the component I used at first with a second one and got the same result after a day or so of running the clock. The original design called for a mercury tilt switch (like this) and so I replaced it with this one from Amazon. It's a little big for the compartment in the motor arm, but I found that if you open up the plastic package, the actual switch is only about a third of the size. I mounted it and the capacitor on a small piece of veroboard:

(I know its hard to see. You get the idea and the scale.)

It's too early to say whether this works better. However, I've run it for more than a day with no signs of problems. With the original tilt switch, even before the overrun and crash into the third wheel, I would sometimes see it running for longer than expected, and I have not noticed that happening at all with the new switch.

One problem remains with the clock: it occasionally squeaks. It is always on certain teeth of the escapement, though it does not squeak every time. Some polishing or lubrication should help. To find when it is happening, I've been taking video at 1/8 speed. Here is an example:

Update: after further examination, I think there was more than one source of the squeaking. It got less when I polished the tips of the escapement, and then went away completely after I lubricated the escape wheel arbor. (For now, at least...)

No comments: