Saturday, August 17, 2024

Some notes on Igus I151 filament

Igus is known in the 3D printing world for their bushings, which are sometimes used instead of linear bearings. I recently noticed they sell printer filament as well, see https://www.igus.com/3d-print-material/3d-print-filament. The filament is expensive; for example I150 is $72 for 750g, about 4 times what you would typically pay for PLA. They have several filaments and they seem to be quite different in characteristics. I've written a lot about making clocks, where low friction is critical to some parts of the gear train. By the time you get to the escapement wheel and the gears nearby, they are operating at very low torque and a tiny amount of frictional force could be enough to stall the whole gear train. Steve Peterson, in the build notes for his SP13 clock, comments that the weight of a house fly landing on the escapement wheel would be enough to stop it. The Igus I150 filament looks interesting, as it is said to have low friction as well as being easy to print. There is a posting on Steve's forum from someone who used I150 and seemed to get good results, as shown by needing a lower than typical weight to run the clock.

The Igus web site has a link to request a sample of the filament. Unfortunately, there sample link for I150 does not work. I emailed to ask about this, and a very helpful sales person told me they don't have any samples of I150 at present, and asked if I was interested in I180 instead. It looks difficult to print and requires an enclosed printer, which I do not have. As an alternative, they offered me I151. I am not sure quite how I151 and I150 are related. Comparing the technical specifications side by side, I151 has a higher Shore hardness and density, and a lower flexural strength. I assume that the similar numbering of the filaments means they have similar composition, and this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5_0mWAmZo) seems to confirm it.

A few days after the email discussion with Igus, a FedEx package arrived containing two samples of I151, each about 40g.

Igus provides profiles for the Prusa MK4, and I used these as a starting point. The profile has a layer height of 0.3, which I reduced to 0.2. Note that the I151 and I150 profiles are a bit different, for example, I150 has a higher maximum volumetric flow rate. All my tests use the I151 profile as a starting point.

The first test was to see how easy it was with standard print surfaces. Typically, I start with a textured PEI sheet. A filament such as PETG can stick too well to smooth PEI and damage it (or damage me as I try to dig it off with a scraper). It printed easily on the textured PEI with no warping. The test object was a 20x20x10 cuboid: not a very tricky test, though one which will trip up difficult to print filaments such as Nylon. I dried the filament in a filament drier for a few hours first. The default print temperatures in the profile are 240 on 85. On smooth PEI, the adhesion was very strong, close to what you get with PETG. The only time I saw any warping was on one print where I accidentally 210 on 60, after selecting the wrong profile. One print stuck so hard that the bottom layer cracked when I pulled it off the bed. As with PETG, glue stick on smooth PEI is a good compromise: the print sticks well, but not too well, and there is no warping.

I looked for a couple of things in the print quality. The first is to examine the vertical edges. On a good filament such as Hatchbox PLA, they will be completely straight. Silk PLA often shows some bulges, which may mean that gear teeth printing using the filament won't engage very cleanly. It's not usually a showstopper, but can reduce the efficiency of the gear train. All of the test prints I did looked good in this respect. However, I was a bit surprised to find that the surface texture of the sides of the print was a little rough. It wasn't, as already noted, distorted, and there were no visible pits or zits, it just felt slightly grainy. It's interesting that the raw filament also feels like this out of the package. You can see the texture if you look closely (I don't have a microscope to try to take a picture of it). It's like a less pronounced version of what you get when printing with the fuzzy skin setting. I don't think I have ever known other filaments with this feel, except for some of the exotics such as wood fill. So perhaps I151 has some extra filler in it to provide its special properties and this is what I am observing.

I tried a bunch of things to try to fix this, including copying the extrusion widths and infill settings from a PLA profile and reducing the extrusion multiplier. The default extrusion widths in the profile seem a bit odd: they set the first layer to 200%. The only change which really made a difference was dropping the temperature to 220 (240 for the first layer). It reduced the feeling of graininess, but did not make it go away altogether. The best print in this respect was the one where I accidentally used my PLA setting (210 first layer, 200 after), though the low first layer temperature led to some slight warping in this case, and I am worried about getting a nozzle jam at such a low temperature.

The card that comes with the filament says "Part cooling should be adjusted to the minimum necessary temperature". The supplied profile sets this to 20% min/80% max. As a (rather goofy) experiment, I turned cooling off altogether and unsurprisingly ended up with a squishy mess. I then also tried changing it to same settings as PLA (100% after 3 layers and some other changes), based on the thought that I was seeing better surface textures with lower temperatures. This made the surfaces rougher.

For a final test, I printed one of the gears from Steve Peterson's SP5 clock. There isn't enough in the sample to print a full set, so this is just for visual inspection. The print quality is good: the gear teeth look precise with no bulging, and no lifting from the print bed. The hole for the arbor was undersized and needed to be drilled out, and there is some stringing, but that's similar to many other filaments. The print has the same surface texture issues and I think would not do well when low friction is needed. I did this both with the unmodified profiles from Igus, and with the reduced temperature and other changes I made. It seemed to be important to set elephant's foot correction to 0.

This picture shows the I151 print and one in gold silk PLA. The bright sunlight emphasizes the surface texture, and show how rough the I151 is.

I am unsure what to do next. Videos and forums posts comment on how smooth the surface of I150 prints feels. So there are several possibilities: I151 is different from I150; there is some sweet spot in the settings which I haven't found; and that this is a bad batch. It's hard to believe that the rough surface texture would result in anything other than more friction. For a cheaper filament, I'd just by a small roll and discard it if it didn't work out (I did this with some Nylon recently). But at $72 for the smallest roll they sell, I really have to think about it.

No comments: