Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Curta Type 1

One of my most treasured possessions is a Curta Type 1 mechanical calculator. It's a beautiful and compact device for addition, subtraction and indirectly for multiplication and division. There are many web sites and videos devoted to it, so I won't recapitulate the details here. I recommend curta.org as a starting point, or wikipedia for a summary.

This is mine:


It originally belonged to my father. He left it to me, along with some unusual slide rules which I might write about another time. I can remember him using it in the early 1970s, sitting in his armchair with a pile of experimental results to analyze. Some time around 1973 or 74, he got a HP-35 and then later a TI-57, and he stopped using it.

I put a short clip of it on YouTube to show how smooth the mechanism is.


Subtraction is done by adding the ten's complement (with a special case). You can see this in the second half of the video. The fact that it is so smooth is an indication of how little friction there is and how precisely it is made. There are two excellent videos which explain how the mechanism works: part 1, part 2. I really recommend watching all the way through, as it gives a detailed explanation of how subtraction works, as well as many points of detail which make it so nice to use. The underlying approach is not unique to the Curta, and in fact originates with Leibniz. You can see similar principles in this video about the Arithmometer. The genius of the Curta is to make it compact, lightweight and easy to use.

The serial number tells me that the manufacturing date is February 1962. It's odd to think that when I remember my dad using it, it was only about 10 years old, and it's now over 60. It is only a few months younger than I am.

The reason to write about the Curta now is that I am thinking of making a 3-D printed one, using Marcus Wu's 3:1 scaled design. I've looked at this before, but decided it was beyond my capabilities and the affordances of my printer. The latter has improved; the next few weeks or months may provide whether the former has advanced enough.


No comments: